First time mommy? Congratulations! I know you have a lot on your mind and so many things to do to prepare for the arrival of your little one. However, before you start throwing everything but the kitchen sink into that hospital delivery bag, slow down and let me tell you what things I should have reconsidered.
I remember the familiar saying, "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Needless to say, wanting to be a well-prepared first time mom, I packed so many things I didn't need or use. There are numerous checklists online advising on what to pack in your bag. Still, there could be some items you may want to rethink on your list. Here are some things I could've left behind:
1. Birth Plan- Nothing went according to plan and it didn't bother me one bit because I just wanted it to be over. I desperately wanted my munchkin here and I wanted to go home- that was all. Simple.
2. Nursing Pads- My milk didn't come for days and the colostrum was not enough to leak onto my clothes...so no worries there. When it finally did arrive, I was already home- and boy oh boy, I was changing pads every hour it seemed.
3. Makeup- I didn't really care how I looked because I felt unpleasant, to put it nicely. So, to all those moms who looked great and were still glowing postpartum...I can't stand you.
4. Pacifier- Initially, I wasn't going to use a pacifier, but my nipples needed a break from all the suckling. The reason the pacifier could have stayed home was because my baby preferred the hospital pacifier, and from what I hear, most babies do. He wailed every time it slipped out of his mouth.
5. Diapers- I had quite the "little pooper" but the birthing center provided more than enough, and thank goodness because one can never have too many disposable diapers.
6. Reading Material- I was too tired to read and too busy thinking about all the wonderful new adventures that lie ahead. Scary and exciting!
Congrats to my sis for just giving birth to twin boys!
cc by 2.0 image courtesy of Enokson on Flickr
Post a Comment